Re: [xep-support] region-before problem

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 04:16:43 PDT

At 2006-04-24 13:51 +0200, Dovid Zalkin wrote:
>Hi. I'm finding that my region-before is limited by the size of the
>region-end.

Yes, by definition. The region-end starts at the page margin (not
the edge of the page), and pushes in the width of the region-before
by the extent of the region-end.

>In other words, the header (region-before) doesn't extend over the
>whole width of the page, rather it is cut off at the position where
>the region-end begins.

Per the specification.

And the initial values of the properties make sense in constraining
the width of the headers and footers to be the width of the body as
defined by the extents of the start and end regions.

>According to the xsl-fo specs, it is not supposed to be that way.

I read the specification differently.

Section 6.4.14 clearly states "If the value of the precedence trait
on the fo:region-before is false, then these adjacent regions float
into the area generated by the fo:region-before and the extent of the
fo:region-before is (effectively) reduced by the incursions of the
adjacent regions." and section 7.25.16 clearly states the initial
value is "false".

My students have been confused by the diagram in section 6.4.12,
which according to the specification is true if the precedence of
both the before and after are set to true, which is not the initial
value of these properties.

How do you read the specification to be different?

>If you could get back to me ASAP with any info and/or fix, I would
>greatly appreciate it.

On region-before, use precedence="true" to make the region extend to
the body margins. Use the same on region-after to get the same
effect. I have had situations where I've had to set the precedence
on only one and not both.

I hope this helps.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSLT/XSL-FO training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04