Re: [xep-support] embedding fonts in PDF -- adding embed="true" seems not to work for base fonts!

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 13:02:09 PST

Patrick Goetz wrote:

> This begs the question, then, why does XEP include the type 1 Helvetica,
> Times Roman, etc. font metrics at all?

You need those metrics to messure letters and to typeset them. The
question is, why you need to embed these standard fonts into your PDF?

For example, I have to replace standard fonts with TTF variants and I'm
embedding them, because I need some special characters that are not
covered by characters in a Adobe base fonts. Is this your case? If not,
why you need embed fonts?

> Why not, for example, use the
> free fonts included with gs
> (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/5.50/Fonts.htm)?

Such fonts are usually of lower quality then ones from Adobe.