Re: [xep-support] embedding fonts in PDF -- adding embed="true" seems not to work for base fonts!

From: Patrick Goetz <pgoetz@internetbs.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 10:11:10 PST

Bob Stayton wrote:
> I think David meant to include one crucial word: free. Adobe
> distributes the font metrics for free, but not the outlines, so
> RenderX cannot bundle the outlines. You have to buy the font
> from Adobe if you want to embed them. Same with Times Roman,
> Zapf Dingbats, and the other standard fonts.

Here's an additional bit of information that is either A) incorrect or
B) suggests that Adobe has nothing that xsl-fo users can use.

Adobe sells the Helvetica Standard type library for $99. The following
note from the XEP 4.5 reference manual:

   "TrueType and OpenType fonts may contain internal flags that prohibit
their embedding or subsetting. XEP honors these flags, and may refuse to
embed or subset your font if the respective action is not authorized by
the flags inside it."

created some concern as to whether or not I would be able to embed the
font in a PDF document even after purchasing the outline from Adobe.

I read through Adobe's somewhat frightening Terms of Use Contract (as
far as I can tell, they basically grant themselves the right to comb
through your computer to investigate "Design Content" whensoever they
might choose), but couldn't find an answer to this question, so I call
Adobe and asked them this question directly.

According to Adobe, one can only embed the Adobe Helvetica font in a PDF
document if one is using either Distiller or Acrobat Professional.

If this is true, than it would seem that Adobe fonts are completely
useless to XSL-FO users, or no?