[xep-support] Orphans & widows at the line break level

From: Jose Maria Sanchez de Ocana <jsandeo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 08:20:21 PST

Hello,
I'd like to know if there's a way in XSL-FO/XEP to control orphans &
widows not only at the page break level, but also at the line break
level.
My problem is that, for certain texts, I'd like to prevent lines from
breaking at words that are too short.
For example, I have the text: "Long Beach Road, 2"
I wouldn't want this sort of text to be broken right before the "2",
thus leaving a single character as an orphan in the block's last line.
I'd either want the text to be stretched into a block with one line
less, or to be broken leaving "Road, 2" on the last line.
Likewise, I wouldn't want a text such as "Madison Av. 1 - 2" to be
broken right after the 1, leaving "- 2" on the last line, and a lonely
"1" as a widow at the end of the previous one.

Thanks,
JSO