[xep-support] Re: [docbook-apps] orphans and widows

From: Alexander Peshkov <peshkov@renderx.com>
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 02:08:58 PDT

It's a cross-post of my answer from dockbook-apps mailing list.

Hello Jacques,

From XSL-FO point of view what you need is keep-with-next.within-page="always"
property specified on the paragraph (fo:block) that holds "next
picture" description - this will glue the paragraphs' tail to the
picture, though the paragraph will remain breakable and could be
divided by a page break with respect to orphans/widows properties. If
you want such paragraph to became unbreakable you should add another
keep property to this paragraph: keep-together.within-page="always" -
being specified together these 'keep' properties will attach picture
description text to the respective picture and make sure that it will
be transferred to the next page as a whole.

I hope that someone on this list who is more of a Docbook expert will
suggest you the best way to make appropriate customizations in the
stylesheests.

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com
RenderX