Re: [xep-support] Support of special types of spaces

From: Sergey Groznyh <gsm@renderx.com>
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 06:25:07 PDT

> these characters exist in Unicode (and I guess precisely for typesseting
> purposes), why XSL-FO, being about typesetting, ignores them. (Or at
> least is not clear how to handle them since they belong to the
> white-space category in Unicode).

XSL-FO has other means to achieve the same effect. General, flexible,
font-independent, vendor-independent means I mentioned in the previous
post. This is what the XSL-FO is all about.

> However, where they are used, as, for example, in typesetting
> mathematical formulae, their width is generally font-specified, and they
> typically do not expand during justification."

"They width is generally" and "they typically" are vague terms. XSL-FO
provides *precise* space allocation rules for these kinds of things.
Not to mention that XSL-FO has nothing to do about math formatting.

--
Sergey