Re: [xep-support] Support of special types of spaces

From: Sergey Groznyh <gsm@renderx.com>
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 01:44:34 PDT

[Sorry if this email appears twice]

Broberg, Mats wrote:

> 2: The fact that XSL omit the support for fixed spaces troubles me. I'm
> sure the members of the XSL working group are grand programmers, but the
> fact that there is no support for fixed spaces reveals an alarming lack
> of understanding of high-end typesetting and the tools, features and
> functions a professional typesetter need to carry out his work.
> Regretfully, the omission of support for fixed spaces is not the only
> example.

Fixed spaces, in any sense of the word, is an anachronism. They were
"fixed" in lead, but any modern tool has more convenient means to
achieve the desired result. For XSL-FO, there are space-start and
space-end attributes for inlines, for example. Any usages you provided
for them (long number separation, comma separation etc.) could be best
accomplished with exactly specified margins between inlines. This is
the way to specify "typographic" conventions better than the font
creator may have in mind when designed "thin", "hair", "1/17em" or other
pre-defined fixed-width spaces.

--
Sergey