Re: [SPAM] Re: [xep-support] arabic and spanning

From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 08:38:51 PDT

Martin.Borgars@marlborough-stirling.com wrote:
> I was under the impression that 1.1 never became an official standard, and
> was dropped. It would therefore not be appropriate to rely on anything in
> 1.1. It's either 1.0 or 2.0.
>
> XSL 1.0: - http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/
>
> XSL 2.0: - http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xslt20-20050915/

You are confusing XSL Transformations with XSL, which is XSL-FO. XSL-FO
1.1 working draft is currently in last call and we are preparing to
produce a CR version as soon as we can.

Obviously you can't depend on XSL-FO 1.1 now but you should be able to
soon and I just wanted to let folks know that this particular issue has
been explicitly addressed in 1.1. XEP's behavior, while arguably correct
per spec (because of the ambiguity), was not the intent of the Working
Group and we've therefore made it possible to explicitly propogate
writing mode from simple-page-master to page-sequence in order to
establish the default writing mode, eliminating the need to use
top-level block containers just to set writing mode.

Cheers,

Eliot

--
W. Eliot Kimber