[xep-support] PDFs are large

From: Chris Ridd <chrisridd@mac.com>
Date: Sat Sep 24 2005 - 10:25:57 PDT

Hi,

I've been experimenting with xep (XEP 4.4 build 20050822), and am wondering
if there's any way to decrease the size of the PDFs produced.

A quick test on a nine page doc full of Helvetica and Times text produces a
55550 byte file, but if I make xep produce Postscript (which contains
pdfmarks) and then distill that using Distiller 5.something, the resulting
file is 43309 bytes.

I tried changing xep-pdf-linearize from false (default) to true, but the
size just increased by 3 bytes :-( I couldn't see any other knobs that
looked worth tweaking.

Obviously 10K is not a particular problem, but I'm concerned about what will
happen when we scale up to 600 page docs containing lots of bitmapped
graphics.

Cheers,

Chris