[xep-support] Rendering Intermediate XML to PS and PDF

From: Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 09:19:24 PDT

I've been looking at the ConcatFormatter.java class that comes with the
Dev kit. I have some observations that I would like to share:

1) The ConcatFormatter class doesn't work when going to PS. Works fine
with PDF. The problem is that the PS Renderer places page data into a
cache keyed by page number, the result is a PS file with just one
document, no matter how many XML files you sent to ConcatFormatter. This
happens because the 2nd and subsequent documents are just over writing
the existing pages in the cache. The solution si simple enough, in the
startElement event just modify the page-number attribute to match the
ordinal position in the complete input set.
2) PS is about 3 times faster than PDF when PDF compression is off. When
compression is on, PDF is 5 times slower than PS. Any ideas why PDF is
so much slower than PS?
3) There seems to be a memory leak when going from the intermediate XML
to either PS or PDF. Memory increases steadily with document count. All
the documents I have been presenting are the same. I can process 10,000
identical documents with 64M, but 100,000 fails with OOM Exception.
Increasing JVM memory to 256M allows processing of 100,000. But I would
like to know cause of this leak. Do I need to call FormatterImpl.cleanup
  every now and again, say after every 1000 documents?

Thanks,

Chris