Re: [xep-support] how long does it take to create a PDF?

From: Jim Melton <jim.melton@acm.org>
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 09:04:35 PDT

Teddi,

Michael is, of course, right that there is no way to determine an "average
speed" because there are too many factors involved. However, I can confirm
that my (reasonably modern) laptop can produce a 1200-page PDF file from a
5MB XML file, including both transforming XML to XSL FO using Saxon and
then rendering it to PDF using XEP in well under 5 minutes. And I have
some pretty complex stuff in that particular document.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

At 8/12/2005 01:35 AM, Michael Sulyaev wrote:
>Hello, Teddi,
>
>There is no average speed of creating PDFs, because it totally depends on
>size and complexity of input files and availability of external resources
>(like images retrieved by HTTP). The time may also depend on available
>system resources (swapping is slow) and JVM memory settings.
>
>If you use XML+XSL (not pure FO) as input, you may wish to transform your
>files to get FO file with Saxon and measure the time, then call XEP to
>produce PDF from FO and measure the time again.
>
>On my old slow notebook it took less than a minute to create PDF from
>examples/xmlspec/xslt.xml + examples/xmlspec/xmlspec20.xsl (shipped with XEP).
>
>--
>Best regards,
> Michael Sulyaev mailto:msulyaev@renderx.com
>RenderX.
>

>Petrone, Teddi R wrote:
>>What is the average processing speed to generate a PDF with RenderX? My
>>processing speed seems to be very slow. I am averaging about 20 minutes.
>>Is there something I can do to speed up the processing speed?
>you are subscribed from.
>(*) By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of Service
>http://www.renderx.com/terms-of-service.html

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL) Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; F&O (etc.) editor Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA Personal email: jim at melton dot name