[xep-support] Large Document Formatting Error

From: Brett Karopczyc <bj@infoplusonline.com>
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 11:21:47 PDT

I'm in the middle of evaluating XEP as a replacement for FrameMaker,
and so far have been impressed with it's features and performance. One
of the steps in my evaluation process is to stress-test the product on
large documents to make sure it can handle all of our needs.
Unfortunately, I've run into an error when attempting to format a
significant (95MB) FO file, which is about the limit of our needs. The
error output by XEP is:

error: formatting failed: com.renderx.xep.lib.InternalException:
force-page-count==auto should have been resolved in compiler

I've searched the RenderX's support site and found a reference to this
error being caused by a Java VM bug on the Windows platform. Here's a
link to the only information I could find in the support database:

http://www.renderx.net/lists/xep-support/2960.html

We're running Mac OS X, and appear to be having the same issue. I've
tried Java 1.4.2 on Panther (10.3) and Tiger (10.4), and Java 5.0 (1.5)
on Tiger as well, all with the same problem.

I'm wondering if there is any more information available on this issue
(workarounds, etc.). I've tried lots of different settings for the
java call (obviously increased the heapspace, stackspace, etc.), but
nothing has worked so far. Our documents are produced in an automated
workflow, so breaking them up into sections and re-assembling them
after PDF production is a significant programming task for us. XEP has
handled everything else so far without issue, but large document
support is critical for us.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Brett Karopczyc
Bristol Capital, Inc.