[xep-support] fo:marker oddity

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 03:32:17 PDT

Hi,

I have hard times to solve an fo:maker issue. Consider following
hierarchy of FO:

fo:marker A
...foo
fo:block
   fo:marker B
   ...bar
fo:block
   fo:marker C
   ...baz
...foo

I need to mark content "foo" with marker A in header, contet "bar" with
B and "baz" with C. The problem is that almost always A appears in
headers, but somethime also B or C (usually if surrounding fo:block
starts on that page).

I always have impression that most specific marker should be used, but
it seems that this is not true.

According XSL-FO spec:

§6.1.14:
"...Every area in the hierarchy is considered preferential to, or
"better" than, any area below it in the hierarchy..."

Does this mean that markers that are more nested are always ignored when
there is some FO between ancestors that has marker of the same class?

I just want to make sure that I understand it correctly and that XEP is
doing right thing. I can rearrange my FO code to do right thing.

TIA,

                                Jirka