Re[2]: [xep-support] Output To Log

From: Alexander Peshkov <peshkov@renderx.com>
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 08:31:41 PDT

Hello Brian,

BJB> By "already mentioned", do you mean the intermediate format idea below?
BJB> BJB

No, I thought that I've mentioned custom Logger creation on this list
recently (but looks like it was in my private mail). Using XEP API you
can create custom logger that will process formatting events in the
way you want. However in this particular case I mentioned it only
because you've asked about standard output redirection. Those log
messages carries information about main formatting stages, warning and
errors. There is nothing about IDs of processed elements and the
suchlike.
Intermediate format has nothing to do with logger, it describes
formatted document as it is passed to backends to create PDF or
PostScript. This format has information you ask for so it may be
useful.

Still all the suggestions will be a wild guess unless you provide us
with more information about your goal and requirements. If you simply
need an index at the end of the book - why not to use RenderX indexes
extensions to XSL-FO? This is much simpler and straightforward
approach compared to the building of a special framework around XEP.

Best regards,
Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com
RenderX