Re: [xep-support] Printer's Pagination

From: G. Ken Holman <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 04:58:18 PDT

At 2005-05-17 11:11 -0700, Peter Spreenberg wrote:
>Does anyone know whether XEP (or XSL) supports printer's pagination? I want
>to create an 8.5" by 11" single-fold brochure where page 1 is the front
>cover, pages 2 and 3 are the interior spread and page 4 is the back cover. I
>want to output this to a print-ready PDF file that would actually consist of
>two sheets (spreads) 17" wide by 11" high. The first sheet would be page 4
>on the left, page 1 on the right, the second would be page 2 on the left,
>page 3 on the right. Can this be done without a lot of complex XSL
>programming?

Because of each page's headers and footers, imposing two pages on one page
of output cannot be done using XSL-FO directives.

But I need this for my XSL teaching materials so I found the
http://itext.sf.net free PDF manipulation software Java library. But I
don't know Java so I use the http://www.jython.org Java environment for
Python in order to write the shuffling algorithm in Python.

It works like a charm. I figured out the arithmetic to create a
double-page image on 8.5" by 11" (you create a page image of 8.5" by 13.13"
so that two of these will fit sideways on 8.5" by 11") and publish my work
two-up filling the page to the margins.

I hope this helps.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc