Re: [xep-support] Problem with keep-together properties

From: Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@renderx.com>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 05:13:12 PDT

Hello, Neha.

If I got you right, you expect the following behavior of the formatter:
1. try to render the whole block on the current page
2. if not enough space, start it on the next page
3. if it does not fit on the next page, go back and start it on the
first page and break where appropriate.

XEP will try to render a block on one page if there is a
keep-together.within-page="always" property on the block.
What you want is "if not fits one page - go back, remove keep
constraint and re-render the block". This algorithm cannot be achieved with XEP,
and is not required from an implementation by the XSL-FO spec.

Nevertheless, you may try to create a iterative system, that would
analyze XEP intermediate format (XEPOUT) (by using rx:pinpoints), make
changes into the input FO according to your rules, and call XEP again
to format the changed input. This will be quite complicated and
inefficient.

 Michael Sulyaev                          mailto:msulyaev@renderx.com
RenderX