Re: [xep-support] Performance and synchronization

From: David Tolpin <dvd@davidashen.net>
Date: Fri Apr 22 2005 - 06:56:24 PDT

On 22.04.2005, at 17:47, Irving Salisbury III wrote:

> I didn't do that measurement, but I did start running multiple vms and
> have written a load balancer specific to my application. So, I'll
> know more in about 4 hours after we run some performance testing on
> the server. We did some preliminary performance testing and running
> multiple vms instead of multiple threads makes XEP scale vs the
> contention we were seeing inside one VM.

Irv,

I've found a four-processor machine for testing, but I don't see
contention at all. It scales to four processors almost linearly. Could
you please make sure that it is not your code (customgenerator or
logger) that causes contention.

I have been testing using CLISER and EnMasse/Actinia; with 1,2,4,8,16
and 32 threads in the server (inside a single JVM). With 4 threads it
runs approximately 3 times faster than with one, and it does not change
its speed when more threads are added (and all threads are loaded in
parallel). I used about 300 files of medium sizes to run through the
engine to test performance.

David