[xep-support] Trying to Achieve Challening Layout: Initial Offset two-column with background graphic

From: W. Eliot Kimber <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 09:28:45 PST

I'm trying to recreate as closely as possible a textbook page design
that was original done in Quark (as far as I can tell). I've already
determined that XEP provides some of the extensions I'll need (in
particular, scaling of background images and the support for
inside/outside offset layout as discussed in an earlier thread on the FO
list).

The one bit I'm not sure is possible is this:

The chapter intro is currently rendered like so:

   Edge of region body Shaded graphic
   | |
   | ______________V___________________
   | / \
   V | First line of chapter title |
      ____| First line of chapter title |
    / Second line of chapter title |
   | Second line of chapter title |
   |__________________________________________|
   ******** |
   ******** Flowing text Second column |
   ******** In two columns of text. |
   ******** ... ... |
   ******** |
   ******** Bottom of first Bottom fo |
   ******** Column Second column |
   ****************************************** |
                ^

Graphical bars-'

   Normal flowing one-column offset body content
   with outside column for marginalia.

What I can't figure out how to do with XEP is to get the two columns
within the graphical bit such that the columns are offset to the right.

If I'm understanding the rx:flow-section, there's no way to have this,
for example, within a block container that could then be positioned
anywhere on the page.

Is there any way to get this layout with XEP 4.1? It should be doable in
FO 1.1 with disconnected flows (although I haven't tried to work out the
markup for that).

Thanks,

Eliot

--