Re: [xep-support] Indic support

From: W. Eliot Kimber <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 12:06:25 PST

Lorna_Priest@sil.org wrote:

> As far as I can tell there is no Indic support in XEP. Is that correct?
> None of the shaping (reordering, ligatures, etc) that is in a Devanagari
> OpenType font is happening. And if so, are there plans to provide Indic
> support?

As far as I know, of all the XSL-FO implementations, only XSL Formatter
currently supports glyph composition for Devanagari and Thai (the two
most challenging modern languages I've had to deal with so far) and
Deveangari is only supported under Windows when printing through the
Windows API (i.e., printing to Distiller rather than doing direct-to-PDF).

As far as I know XEP supports Arabic and Hebrew glyph shaping correctly
but explicitly does not support glyph composition for any Asian
languages. It's got to be a difficult technical challenge so I'm not
surprised that support is spotty at present.

But I'm not sure what you mean by "Indic support"--I initially read that
to mean "support for Indic numerals" but clearly you mean something
different.

[I've just been debugging XSL Formatter's support for Devanagari script,
so your mention of Devanagari caught my eye. One of my customers markets
mobile devices in India, which is, apparently, either the largest or
fastest growing market for mobile devices, so support for Hindi is
getting some focus :-)]

Cheers,

Eliot

--