[xep-support] Scrambled characters with TrueType and small-caps

From: Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb.quenot@caraldi.com>
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 14:12:45 PST

Hello,

Thank you for providing XEP, it's a great piece of software. Today I
decided to give it a try to get high-quality rendering for Docbook
stuff: XEP has a good reputation.

However, I've come across what I would call a bug. Let me explain:
before using XEP, I didn't know that small-caps were not supported, so I
tried to process the document with small-caps in it. As long as it's
not supported, no problem you would say. But my document is also using
a TrueType font for rendering text, and this is where things begin to
hurt: the characters in the document begin to scramble.

As a meaningful demonstration is always better than words, here it is:

The XSL-FO document:
http://caraldi.com/jbq/test.fo

The resulting PDF generated by XEP:
http://caraldi.com/jbq/test-xep.pdf

The second line should read: « A paragraph of text » but it is
unreadable as you can see. I would expect XEP at least to ignore the
small-caps setting and render text correctly.

To reproduce the problem, please define a TrueType font in your XEP
configuration file, and reference it in the font-family attribute of the
root element of the FO document.

BTW, is it planned to add support for small-caps in the future? How can
I work around this limitation, is there an XSL trick to do that?

Thanks in advance for your help, and kudos to the whole team for your
great program. Besides this little annoying bug, nothing to say!

--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/