RE: [xep-support] XEP performance issue

From: DESEYNE Jacques <Jacques.DESEYNE@swift.com>
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 01:55:51 PST

Hiral,

My guess is that important factors impacting performance are the complexity of your FO, the number and nature of referenced graphics
and the number of tables present in the document.

We call XEP from a roll-your-own servlet on a Windows2000 Server (4 GB of RAM) where fairly complex documents of (on the average)
500 pages containing 50 vector graphics and 50 bitmap graphics are generated in about one minute.
This excludes all kind of pre-processing of the original input, where graphic conversion (such as EPS into PDF) takes the biggest
part of the resources. Pre-processing can take up to two minutes for a 500-page document, resulting in a total processing time
comparable to the one you mention.

We found that disk I/O and available memory is more important than CPU speed.

Could your performance problem be related to memory shortage, maybe disk swapping?
Our empiric rule-of-thumb (which I will not endeavour to prove) states that a XEP thread may need up to 1 MB of RAM per page to be
produced. As we set a maximum heap size of 3 GB to the JVM, we allow only 5 PDF generation threads to run simultaneously. This is
done by queueing requests on the servlet (we also found a few memory leaks in our code :-/).
With the queueing mechanism, there have been no apparent performance problems when considering the individual jobs. Of course, when
there would be 100 requests pending, the queue would also take considerable time to be emptied.

Jacques Deseyne
User Documentation Dept.
S.W.I.F.T. - Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication
Avenue Adele, 1
B-1310 La Hulpe
Belgium
+32 2 655 3111
http://www.swift.com

This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information which is confidential and/or proprietary and are intended for the
sole use of the recipient(s) named above. It is not intended to create or affect any contractual arrangements between the parties.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the mail. Thank you for your
co-operation.