Re: [xep-support] MathML support

From: Sebastian Rahtz (sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 01:13:05 PDT

    Joern Clausen wrote:

    >I know it is probably a bad habit to point to a competing product on a
    >mailing list provided by a company, but the former statement is not
    >true. PassiveTeX by Sebastian Rahtz is a (La)TeX based XSL-FO engine
    >that supports MathML natively. It has its drawbacks compared to XEP in
    >a lot of other aspects, but MathML is handled rather naturaly.

    Although PassiveTeX is not working 100% properly at present,
    I am happy to say that the big ConTeXt package also using TeX
    has implemented an XSL FO processor as well, handling MathML
    properly. The FO implementation per se is fairly untested,
    but has the potential to get better rapidly.

    MathML -> SVG seems to be a fairly convoluted way to proceed.
    Math typesetting is not *that* hard to implement - after all, you can
    read the entire source code of TeX or groff to see how to do it.

    Sebastian Rahtz