Re: [xep-support] Text alignment bottom up?

From: G. Ken Holman (gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 03:38:01 PDT

    At 2004-09-10 11:14 +0200, Peter Kester wrote:
    >I want to have a certain block of text aligned bottom up(above the footer)
    >I have a text block of about 3 lines placed at the top of the page and I
    >want the second text block on that page aligned at the bottom.
    >What do I use to achieve this?

    Put the content that grows from the bottom of the page into a footnote
    layout construct.

    >Can I do this with a block-container with an apsolute position?

    Not easily and without guarantees. If the stars align and you know your
    top block is small then you can mimic the effect you want by using an
    absolutely-positioned block-container at the bottom of the page and using a
    display-align="after" to have the content grow up from the bottom, but this
    is an out-of-line construct and may interfere with the flow that is growing
    down from the top.

    Where I've used this strategy is in small-font content like legal
    disclaimers found at the bottom of the last page of a document.

    I teach that the footnote layout construct is *just* a layout construct for
    flowing information up from the bottom of the page and it happens to be
    used most of the time for footnotes but can be used for any content that
    grows up. Same thing for the list construct and the table construct being
    used solely as a means to an end of effecting a particular layout that is
    needed for the end result. Not everyone agrees with that, but it has
    worked well for me for my customers.

    I hope this helps.

    Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
    Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/bc