[xep-support] Feasibility of using block-containers to simulate change bars?

From: DESEYNE Jacques (Jacques.DESEYNE@swift.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 08:50:28 PDT

    All,

    My internal customers have started to pronounce the term 'change bars'. Unless I have missed things (it has happened before :-), XEP
    offers no support for this. I have experimented a little with absolutely-positioned block-containers (with a left c.q. right border
    and containing nothing but an empty block) for each change (getting these is already a story of its own). I modify the intermediate
    'at' xep format to get these polygons to the right placement and dimensions (relying on x-till etc. attributes of the 'change'
    elements).
    In my rather limited test cases, this approach gives reasonable visual results. Changes apply to both block-level components as to
    in-line text portions.

    Q: Is this worth investigating further? Can I rely on the sequence and syntax of elements in the xep intermediate format or am I
    bound to get trapped by many issues I'm not (yet) thinking of?

    Any advice appreciated,

    --
    Jacques Deseyne
    S.W.I.F.T. User Documentation Dept.