Vedr.: Re: [xep-support] retrieve-marker question?

From: Henrik Ryom (Henrik_Ryom@Gyldendal.dk)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 04:33:28 PDT

    Hello Alexander

    and thanks for the quick answer.
    What XEP gives is what you describe: "consequent words which start
    with the same syllables to be represented by their common part"
    What I want is the "the first keyword, the hole of it and nothing but the first keyword".
    I can sent you some examples i you whish.

    Best regards
    Henrik

    >>> peshkov@renderx.com 25-05-04 12:44 >>>
    Hello Henrik,

    If I understood you correctly, you want consequent words which start
    with the same syllables to be represented by their common part in the
    dictionary running header. You can achieve this using markers, but
    you'll have to do some work in XSLT. I'll outline one possible
    approach below.
    I suppose your data consists of term-description pairs. Note that you
    have to decide which number of starting letters in consequent terms
    should be common in order for them to be groped together under the
    same prefix. Let it be 4 letters as in your example.

    First of all in XSLT stylesheet you will create an index (using
    xsl:key) of terms based on their four starting letters. Then you will
    iterate over this index with xsl:for-each (order items in alphabetical
    order using xsl:sort). Inside this cycle you will perform two main steps:
     1) Define variable with marker value: if current item correspond to
        the single term the whole term will be used as marker value, if
        there are several terms share the same prefix, then this prefix
        will be used as marker content.
     2) Apply templates for every term-description pair (don't forget to
        order terms with common prefix alphabetically) passing to handler
        template the variable with marker value.

    Inside 'term' template you will wrap term into fo:block with fo:marker
    that has value passed in as a parameter. Note that term description
    should be *outside* of this marker and fo:retrieve-marker should have
    retrieve-position="first-starting-within-page".

    I believe that this method will allow you to achieve desired result.
    The only limitation I can see is that you have to fix number of common
    letters, however this restriction is quite reasonable.

    Hope this helps.

    Best regards,
    Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com
    RenderX