Re[5]: [xep-support] Orphans & Widows

From: Douglas_Morrison@contractor.amat.com
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 07:28:58 PDT

    Hello William,

    I agree with Alexander.

    The intent of widow and orphan control is to prevent the last line of a
    paragraph appearing at the top of a page (a widow) or the first line of a
    paragraph appearing at the end of a page (an orphan). The presumption is
    that it is a multi-line paragraph. It is also more-or-less an aesthetic
    consideration. Keep-with-next (or previous) is generally more important:
    you really don't want a figure title to be on a different page than the
    figure, or a section heading to be separated from the section contents.

    Furthemore, you (usually) don't care if a figure title is an orphan or a
    section heading is a widow.

    This is speaking from what I would hope the specifications would produce,
    rather than a knowledge of what they actually say.

    Regards, Doug x2571

    The content of this message is Applied Materials Confidential. If you are
    not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, any
    use or distribution is prohibited. Please notify me immediately by reply
    e-mail and delete this message from your computer system. Thank you.

    Alexander Peshkov <peshkov@renderx.com>
    Sent by: owner-xep-support@renderx.com
    05/05/2004 14:05
    Please respond to xep-support