Re: [xep-support] Re: can't list multiple page references for index terms

From: Susan Korgen (skorgen@intersystems.com)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 13:09:41 PDT

    Hello Alexander (and folks at RenderX):

    I have fixed the problem I reported!

    The index.xsl file that I downloaded with a trial RenderX version in April 2003
    was designed to restrict page number "hits" to one per chapter, apparently
    as a way of eliminating the chance of duplicate "hits" on the same page.
    Coincidentally, in my test file, all of my index terms that I expected to have
    multiple page references were WITHIN THE SAME CHAPTER. This created
    the illusion of being unable to generate multiple page references. Only the
    first hit in each chapter was displayed. Since I indexed only one chapter, only
    one "hit" was listed per term in the index.

    As soon as I put more of the same index term in other chapters, the
    first "hit" in each chapter displayed correctly in the index, and I was able
    to see multiple "hits". Subsequent hits within each chapter were suppressed,
    as the file was designed to do.

    Alexander, I would be happy to send you this "grandchild" of an old
    index.xsl from RenderX. It might be of academic interest, FWIW.
    In the short term, now that I know what it is doing, I will adapt it to
    permit more "hits" within chapters.

    In the long term, I expect to use the plan you suggested, creating a
    customization layer on top of Norman Walsh's standard stylesheets
    and abandoning this unsupported trial code.

    Many thanks, again, for your support on this issue.
    And to everyone on this list, for your patience.

    Susan