[xep-support] text in a box

From: Bob Stayton (bobs@sagehill.net)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 10:31:06 PDT

    I'm trying to do something I thought would be easy, but I can't seem to find
    a way that works. I'm trying to present a set of fixed lines of text inside
    a box. The linefeeds are preserved, and the box should just fit around the
    lines:

    +---------------------------+
    |First line |
    |Another line that is longer|
    |Third line |
    +---------------------------+

    [this won't display properly in a proportional font. You should see the
    right side of the box just containing the longest line of text]

    When I add a border to the container block, the box extends all the way
    across the page. I only want it to extend just past the longest line of
    text. I can't set a width on the container block because I don't know what
    the width will be since it is determined by the text.

    I tried a table, but ran into similar problems of the table always extending
    the width of the page unless I specify explicit column widths, which I
    cannot.

    Bob Stayton
    Sagehill Enterprises
    DocBook Consulting