Re: [xep-support] XEP with Arabic Typesetting font

From: Mete Kural (metekural@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 06:36:06 PST

    Hello Nikolai,

    > Currently, there is no API in XEP to plug in
    > external
    > libraries. Rather than adding such an API, we would
    > better prefer to refine our own engine to cover
    > complex
    > cases like these :-).

    I understand but developing a successful rendering
    engine for Arabic is a very specialty task. Even the
    Unicode specification at its current state does not
    provide full support for traditional Arabic. A
    rendering engine that extends Unicode is necessary to
    handle complex cases that occur especially in
    traditional Arabic manuscripts. For instance, no
    Unicode rendering engine today successfully renders
    the word "yaaadamu" that occurs in the Quran in verse
    2:33. Another example is the word "laaahirat" that
    occurs in the Quran a lot as well. Cases such as this
    are rare but nonetheless they exist in traditional
    Arabic manuscripts, especially the Quran.

    There are a lot of rendering engines out there that
    people have already spent a lot of time and written
    such as Graphite from SIL.org. Maybe you should
    consider integrating XEP with them rather than writing
    your own rendering engine from scratch.

    Kind Regards,
    Mete