Re: [xep-support] xep performance

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 12:01:01 PST

    David,

    XEP 3.7 introduces a completely new interface. The old one is maintained
    for compatibility but is deprecated: we don't recommend using it for
    new development anymore.

    The principal change is the introduction of the explicit formatter instance.
    Instead of calling a static Driver.init(), you now create a FormatterImpl
    object, passing configuration parameters (in the form of a java.util.Properties
    object) as arguments in the constructor. The render() method also resides
    on the instance. So, in XEP 3.7, you can create several instances of the
    formatter, each having its own settings.

    To capture errors, you should now use com.renderx.xep.lib.Logger interface.
    An instance of Logger can be supplied in the argument to either
    a FormatterImpl constructor (in which case, it will receive notifications
    about problems in the formatter setup), or render() method (to capture
    messages pertaining to a single formatting session). To disable logging,
    you can simply pass 'null' as a logger object. (There is a special constant, com.renderx.xep.lib.Logger.NULL_LOGGER, defined as
    (com.renderx.xep.lib.Logger)null; the cleanest way is to use it).

    You can find more details on this in doc/applications.pdf: note that
    this document has been almost completely rewritten for 3.7. Please
    also look at the samples: all of them have been changed to use
    the new interfaces (and most of them became shorter than in 3.6 :-)).

    Regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev
    RenderX