Re: [xep-support] initial-page-number forces blank page

From: G. Ken Holman (gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 17:18:23 PST

    At 2004-02-05 15:53 -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
    >I've discovered that I get an unwanted blank page when I
    >set a page-sequence's initial-page-number property to an odd number
    >when the previous page-sequence ends on an odd number.
    >
    >I've included a complete FO example with two page sequences, each
    >with a short block of text for a single page. If the second page-sequence
    >has initial-page-number set to an odd number such as 5, my output is:
    >
    >1 First page text.
    >2 Blank page.
    >5 Second page text.
    >
    >If I set initial-page-number to an even number, say 6, I get:
    >
    >1 First page text.
    >6 Second page text.
    >
    >I get the same behavior with XEP, FOP, and Antenna House.

    Right ... because the force-page-count= on your first sequence is "auto"
    thus section 7.25.6 says "Force [the last page in this page-sequence] to be
    an even-page if the initial-page-number of the next page-sequence is odd."

    >It appears the
    >XSL-FO processors require the pages to alternate odd and even numbers,
    >even when the numbering is being manually reset.

    The specification says this, not the processors.

    >This is not useful when you are
    >producing single-sided output. I've not found a property that turns off
    >this behavior. Is there one?

    Just add force-page-count="odd" to your first page sequence ... because you
    were so kind to include a complete working example, I was able to see this
    change works in XEP and Antenna House: the end result has pages 1 and 5
    next to each other with no intervening page.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Public courses: sign up for one or both soon to reserve your seat!
    Each week:  Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath;  Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO