Re: [xep-support] Postscript problems

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 14:13:05 PDT

    Wes,

    > We are very interested in any postscript device control such
    > as tray switching, output jogging and simplex/duplex printer
    > control. Will any or all of these controls be a part of 3.6.3.?

    They are already present since XEP 3.6.

    > Where will these controls be documented?

    They are documented in doc/spec.pdf, Section 4.10
    "Page Device Control"; you can also read it online at:

    http://xep.xattic.com/xep/doc/spec.html#Page_Device
    http://xep.xattic.com/xep/doc/spec.pdf#Page_Device

    Essentially, we have a very general processing instruction
    that inserts arbitrary PostScript code as a value for an
    entry in page device dictionary. This value my be set
    for the whole document (in which case the PI should
    be located at top level, before <fo:root>), or for an
    individual page (in this case, the PI is placed inside
    <fo:simple-page-master> for that page). Some examples:

      <?xep-postscript-page-device /Duplex true?>
      <fo:root xmlns:fo=....>

    sets duplex mode for the document (and reverts back to the
    original mode in the document trailer);

      <fo:simple-page-master master-name="first-page">
         <?xep-postscript-page-device /MediaColor (yellow)?>
         <?xep-postscript-page-device /MediaType (coversheet)?>
         <fo:region-body margin="1.5in 1in"/>
    sets /MediaColor and /MediaType entries for padedevice
    for pages _produced with this page-master_ (and reverts
    them back to original values in the page trailer);

    <?xep-postscript-page-device
      /InputAttributes
      << 0 << /PageSize [ 612 1008] >>
         1 << /PageSize [ 612 792]
              /MediaType (letterhead)
              /MatchAll true

    ?>

    specifies a whole /InputAttributes dictionary to tweak media selection
    policies for the document.

    NOTE 1: the mechanism is extermely powerful but requires care to use.
    Incorrect PostScript code in the PI may ruin the whole output file.

    NOTE 2: Allowed entries for setpagedevice/currentpagedevice are
    printer-specific. Please consult your printer manual for a list of
    page device options and their values. Please also note that the
    resulting code may not be portable across printers.

    Regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev