Re: [xep-support] line-height

From: G. Ken Holman (gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 03:34:11 PDT

    At 2003-10-21 11:14 +0200, Thomas.Braun@infowerk.de wrote:
    >the following fo:block is in one of my documents:
    >
    ><fo:block line-height="100%">
    > <fo:inline font-size="12pt">blah blah</fo:block>
    ></fo:block>
    >
    >when i reduce font-size to a value less than 8pt the line-height attribute
    >doesn't work correctly.
    >the more i reduce font-size the more space i will get between the lines.
    >
    >does anyone know why this happens?

    Yes, because the block's line height is based on the font size *of the
    block* not of the characters in the block. In XSL-FO characters sit on the
    lines generated by the block, characters don't generate lines by
    themselves. If you want all of the lines of a block to be a particular
    size, set that size as a property of the block and *then* sit your
    characters on those lines.

    This is a common question in my XSL-FO classes ... it comes up in
    discussion when you want two leaders to be positioned close to each other:
    one sizes the lines of the blocks to be very short and *then* you place the
    leader on the lines and they will be closer together.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-01-??
    Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training