Re: [xep-support] minor installation and running issues

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 03:50:44 PDT

    Oliver,

    thank you for the suggestions. We will consider your notes
    in the forthcoming versions of XEP.

    > 1. During the installation the text field for entering the target
    > directory is not readable. It seems it is just too narrow
    > (there is text but only the upper-most pixels are visible).
    > Well, using the browse button it's possible to choose the
    > wanted directory and everything is ok.

    You are right. The Java setup relied on default font size.
    As a workaround for cases like this, there exists a console,
    no-GUI setup mode (invoked by specifying -c switch at the
    setup command).

    > 2. The created shell script xep.sh doesn't have execute permissions.
    > I have to call "chmod +x xep.sh" manually before I can use it.
    > (This is of course Unix specific. I don't know at the moment whether
    > and how Java allows changing file permissions ...)

    We are reluctant to manage file permissions from our code: it's too
    OS-specific. You can always call the script as an argument to sh,
    so I don't think we should change anything here.

    > 3. In case the formatting stops due to an error, xep.sh should exit
    > with an exit code different from 0. This will enable to call xep.sh
    > within make or on the command line like this "xep.sh ... && acroread ...".

    Good point, thank you.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev
    RenderX

    I've just installed the academic version of XEP362 (both on a Solaris
    and on a Linux machine) and noted three minor issues on both systems:

    1. During the installation the text field for entering the target
       directory is not readable. It seems it is just too narrow
       (there is text but only the upper-most pixels are visible).
       Well, using the browse button it's possible to choose the wanted
       directory and everything is ok.

    2. The created shell script xep.sh doesn't have execute permissions.
       I have to call "chmod +x xep.sh" manually before I can use it.
       (This is of course Unix specific. I don't know at the moment whether
       and how Java allows changing file permissions ...)

    3. In case the formatting stops due to an error, xep.sh should exit with
       an exit code different from 0.
       This will enable to call xep.sh within make or on the command line like
       this "xep.sh ... && acroread ...".
       It seems that the last line "set CP=" in xep.sh causes the script always
       to exit normally without an error code (the exit code from the Java
       invocation is lost). I think you can safely remove this line, because
       the script will finish anyway and the variable CP won't be passed to
       the caller of the script.

    The Java version on both systems is 1.4.1

    Best regards,
    Oliver

    | ob|do Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker |
    | --+-- E-Mail: obecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de |