Re[2]: [xep-support] table header orphaned

From: Alexander Peshkov (peshkov@renderx.com)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 08:03:29 PDT

    Hello Jim,

    Looks like my previous post was quite inadequate, sorry about that.
    Here is the situation: by default, table header is kept together with the
    next row so there is no need for explicit keeps on it. However because
    of XEP limitation, placing keep-together.within-page on fo:table-cell
    cancels the effects of of keep-with-next. To achieve the desired behavior
    you should
    move keep-together.within-column="always" onto the nested block of
    fo:table-row.

    Note also that the document in your original example is
    over-constrained: space-before prevents two lines of your table
    (including header) to be accommodated on the page, at the same time
    they are forced to stay together by implicit keep-with-next of
    table-header. To avoid such a situation you should move space-before
    property onto any text block before the table.

    We are working on the 'keeps problem', in the meantime you better move
    your keep properties to content of the table cells (i.e. on nested
    fo:block).

    Best regards,
    Alexander Peshkov mailto:peshkov@renderx.com
    RenderX

    JQ> Hello Alexander,
    JQ> I have now tried putting that attribute on the table-cell in the row of
    JQ> the header

    JQ> <fo:table-cell keep-with-next.within-column="always"
    JQ> keep-together.within-column="always" border="1pt solid">...

    JQ> as suggested, and it does not help. The table header is still being
    JQ> orphaned.

    JQ> Do I understand your suggestion correctly?

    rpn>> Dear All,
    rpn>> I have this problem that table header are being orphaned, left
    JQ> alone on the previous page. Also on the next page, the table header is
    JQ> not the top item.
    rpn>> I have read the xep conformance stating that all cells must have
    JQ> keep-together.within.column="always", but that does not seem to help at
    JQ> all.
    rpn>> Any clues why this is the case. Below I have a very small fo,
    JQ> which creates really bad PDF. I am using xep354.

    rpn>> <?xml version="1.0"?>
    rpn>> <fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">
    rpn>> <fo:layout-master-set>
    rpn>> <fo:simple-page-master master-name="page" page-height="6.4cm">
    rpn>> <fo:region-body region-name="xsl-region-body" margin="0.7in"/>
    rpn>> </fo:simple-page-master>
    rpn>> </fo:layout-master-set>

    rpn>> <fo:page-sequence master-reference="page">
    rpn>> <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
    rpn>> <fo:table space-before="1.8cm"
    JQ> space-before.conditionality="retain">
    rpn>> <fo:table-column column-number="1"/>
    rpn>> <fo:table-header>
    rpn>> <fo:table-row>
    rpn>> <fo:table-cell keep-together.within-column="always"
    border="1pt solid">>
    rpn>> <fo:block font-weight="bold">Header Row</fo:block>
    rpn>> </fo:table-cell>
    rpn>> </fo:table-row>
    rpn>> </fo:table-header>
    rpn>> <fo:table-body>
    rpn>> <fo:table-row>
    rpn>> <fo:table-cell keep-together.within-column="always"
    border="1pt solid">>
    rpn>> <fo:block>Body Row 1</fo:block>
    rpn>> </fo:table-cell>
    rpn>> </fo:table-row>
    rpn>> <fo:table-row>
    rpn>> <fo:table-cell keep-together.within-column="always"
    border="1pt solid">>
    rpn>> <fo:block>Body Row 2</fo:block>
    rpn>> </fo:table-cell>
    rpn>> </fo:table-row>