Re: [xep-support] "Ragged" left alignment when preserving whitespace

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 03:45:33 PDT

    Chris,

    > I'm trying to include a block of text inside a table cell.
    > The text contains some whitespace and linefeeds which
    > should be preserved, but longer lines should be wrapped
    > to fit inside the cell. The problem is that often when XEP
    > breaks a longer line the next line appears to begin with
    > a space which makes the left margin appear ragged.

    This is a limitation of XEP. We don't support
    white-space-treatment="ignore-if-surrounding-linefeed",
    needed to prevent the observed effect. Its support is planned
    in subsequent versions, but I cannot give you any estimate
    about schedules.

    > Interestingly, I cannot recreate the problem using Apache FOP 0.20.5.

    Perhaps they implement the correct value of white-space-treatment.

    > Is this a known issue?

    Yes.

    > Is there a workaround?

    Not yet, sorry. The only thing that comes to mind is to count characters
    and insert explicit line breaks on the XSLT level; but it's hard to implement
    and has a very limited applicability; I mention it but dare not recommend it.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev