[xep-support] creating "live" links in PDF output, starting from the <link> tag in XML

From: Susan Korgen (skorgen@intersystems.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 09:59:58 PDT

    My XML documents use a lot of internal cross-references.
    So far I cannot get these links to work in PDF.

    I need to know:

    What syntax do I use in my XSL file,
    so that when I run XEP with this XSL file as input,
    XEP can process the <link> tags in my XML file
    to generate a working link in my output PDF file?

    Here are some more details:

    By "working link" I mean the reader can click on
    the text while viewing it in in Acrobat, and Acrobat
    will then "jump" to that section of the PDF file.

    The links I need have various targets. Some are defined
    as <sect1>, others <sect2>, or <sect3>, or <sect4>.
    Sometimes a <chapter> is the target, as well.

    Each of these sections has an identifier defined in its
    attributes, and each identifier is unique across the entire
    book, regardless of which type of section tag is used.

    My <link> tags process correctly when I use DocBook
    to output HTML. It is only when I want to use XEP to create PDF
    that I have a problem. I just don't know what syntax to use
    in the XSL file. Is there a standard formula, and if not,
    can someone help?

    If it is helpful, below please find two kinds of XML excerpts:
    - the typical XML syntax that I use for <link> tags
    - a typical "target" of such a link in XML, one of the 5 types listed above
    I have arranged excerpts in pairs to give you an idea of how
    the <link> tags and their targets are supposed to "match up."

    Three notes are important regarding these <link> tags and their targets.
    Whatever is done in the XSL file for XEP must handle these aspects
    of the problem:
    - Both tag and target are in the same XML file.
    - Either tag or target may appear in the file above or below the other.
    - Every target has an identifier that is unique within the entire file.
    - A target may be a section of one of 5 types (<chapter> <sect1> etc).
    - There may be multiple <link> tags that reference the same target.
    - When multiple <link> tags reference 1 target, some may be above,
       and some may be below the target in the file.

    EXAMPLE #1
    <link linkend="EGMG_ensemble_management_portal">Ensemble Management
    Portal</link>
    <chapter id="EGMG_ensemble_management_portal"> ... </chapter>

    EXAMPLE #2
    <link linkend="EGMG_portal_login">Login</link>
    <sect1 id="EGMG_portal_login"> ... </sect1>
    <para> ... If your session has timed out, you will be prompted to <link
    linkend="EGMG_portal_login">log back in</link> to the portal.</para>
    portal to manage this feature.</para>

    Thanks for any advice.
    Susan