Re: [xep-support] XEP - resolving links/cross-references when generating PDFs?

From: G. Ken Holman (gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 05:39:07 PDT

    At 2003-07-31 11:40 +0200, Martin Post wrote:
    >Just a quick question regarding your XEP product(s) - I'll probably have
    >more questions soon:
    >
    >Is the processor/renderer able to resolve cross-references (hyperlinks)
    >when rendering PDFs? I.e., ca a generic link be transformed into
    >something like "For more information, see page XX")?

    Absolutely. BTW, XSL-FO distinguishes a hyperlink from a page number
    citation ... and XEP supports both. A hyperlink in a document allows the
    user agent software to navigate to another location in the final result,
    while a page number citation allows the reader of the document to manually
    navigate to another location in the final result.

    You say "hyperlink" yet your example is a "page number citation".

    If you have the time to go to the book sales section of our web site noted
    below and download the free 200-page excerpts of our electronic PDF books
    that we sell on XSL-FO and XSLT, you will see *extensive* use of hyperlinks
    and page number citations. Especially in the XSL-FO book. Property and
    object names that are hyperlinked to their respective definitions and page
    number citations (that also happen to be simultaneously linked to their
    target) are used throughout.

    We use XEP to produce the electronic PDF books that we sell.

    Note, though, that in my publishing process the hyperlinks are lost in the
    "2-up" presentation ... download the "1-up" presentations of the books in
    order to have the hyperlinks engaged. This is not a problem with XEP but
    what my publishing environment does to the PDF files created by XEP.

    There is *no* obligation to buy the books ... we try to make the download
    excerpts useful references in their own right and hope that people will
    feel free to use them as such. With 248 different properties, the
    hyperlinked annex on property definitions is very useful.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
    North America public:                     XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003