Re: [xep-support] Question on XEP XSL-FO Rendering Engine PostScript Capability

From: G. Ken Holman (gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 07:50:44 PDT

    I can see that you are asking two separate questions in one here:

    At 2003-07-24 09:07 -0500, Rossi, John L wrote:
    >My company is designing an application that dynamically generates document
    >packet to send to our clients which will contain a Letter and various
    >forms. The application utilizes XML, XSLT and XSL-FO. The document packet
    >will be presented to employee who created the packet as a PDF for review.
    >Then verify packets will be printed and mailed. For the print portion of
    >the application, we would like to

    (1) -

    >render it to PostScript and have the ability to select Paper Tray (Letter
    >Head or Plain Paper) and Duplexing

    I can't answer the above for XEP or any other product, as it isn't
    something I've looked into.

    (2) -

    >based on the individual pages contain within the document packet.

    Pure XSL-FO 1.0 doesn't allow the above. All changes in page geometry must
    be scripted in page sequence master specifications and cannot be triggered
    by flowed content.

    However, if you are willing to accept a page break at a change of page
    (which looks obvious from what you have described), then you need the Page
    Sequence Master Interleave (PSMI) semantic and one-element vocabulary that
    I created for one of my XSL-FO customers and made fully publicly available
    on our web site.

    Look in the free developer resources section of our web site.

    With this element, you can specify at the top of your flow that a given set
    of block-level constructs belongs in a separate page sequence ... hence the
    name I gave of interleaving page sequences. You can have any number of
    these interleaved page sequences in your XSL-FO page sequence.

    We supply as part of the free package a stylesheet that transforms
    XSL-FO+PSMI to pure XSL-FO that can be used with any XSL-FO engine.

    Our customer requirement was to flow landscaped tables in the middle of a
    page sequence, but it was the author of the XML source document that
    decided whether a table was portrait or landscape. This problem also
    cannot be solved using pure XSL-FO 1.0.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Upcoming hands-on courses: in-house corporate training available;
    North America public:  XSL-FO Aug 4,2003; XSLT/XPath Aug 12, 2003