Re: [xep-support] Blank output

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 12:09:41 PDT

    Kurt,

    > I have finally wired up our app to generate pdf output. All seems to go
    > well, excep that the pages generated are blank. I get 3 pages of blank
    > text. I believe there is text there because when I mouse-over the page in
    > Acrobat, I can click on the links in the page.

    A guess: please check that you transmit/store PDF as a _binary_
    file, and not as text. If newlines are screwed up in the compressed
    byte streams, the body of the PDF is very likely to become unreadable;
    on the other hand, annotations (including hyperlinks) are always
    represented as plain text, and may survive newline conversions.

    If I missed the point, then please:

    - open your crippled PDF document with Xpdf and/or GhostScript,
    and see if it gives you any warning. In general, Xpdf has absolutely
    the best diagnostics of all PDF reading software;

    - send me a sample of your broken PDF off list.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev
    RenderX