Re: [xep-support] combining diacrits

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 07:34:24 PDT

    Hi Jack,

    > I have to convert a file to pdf that contains a lot of diacrits. They
    > are coded using unicode combining diacrit codes and I am using a
    > times new roman unicode font. Most of the diacrits display ok, but
    > when i want to display a 't' with a dot below, the dot appears left below
    > the 't', in stead of centered below the 't'. Could this be a xep rendering
    error,

    It is a limitation of XEP: we don't reserve any special processing for
    combining
    diacritics. They are treated as normal characters, and placed on the line
    according to their metrics.

    I really wonder how other characters manage to work if you code them
    using combined diacritics. May it happen that you have a Unicode
    normalization
    component somewhere in the data stream? Can you please send me a sample
    off list?

    > can I work around it,

    I am afraid there is no good workaround.You can try to specify negative
    letter-spacing
    on diacritic characters: but this would be a tedious work, and visual
    results can hardly
    be satisfactory.

    > or do I just need a more up-to-date font ?

    I strongly recommend using monolithic Unicodes for accented characters, and
    get
    a font that has a glyph for "t width dot below". In the current state of
    XEP, every
    other alternative is unsafe.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev