Re: [xep-support] A few questions from a newbie

From: Alexander Peshkov (peshkov@renderx.com)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 07:46:40 PDT

    Hello Marcus,

    MB> Hi all!

    MB> A few questions:

    MB> 1. Is it possible to force the start of a new column, i.e. the
    MB> rest of the content is moved to the next column. (Not in a table
    MB> but in a page with several columns)?
    MB> If so, how?

    Well, there is no special means for such a flow control in XSL FO.
    That kind of effect you want to achieve? I think the only thing that
    probably could be of some use is a "keep-together.within-column"
    property. If you have <fo:block> with keep-together.within-column="always"
    constraint then it will be always moved to the next column if current
    one has not enough space to accommodate all of it's contents.

    MB> 2. How can I force a rowbreak, comparable to HTML <br>?

    This kind of abstraction is not directly applicable to XSL FO. The
    best (and natural for XSL FO) way to separate paragraphs of text is to
    wrap them in <fo:block> elements. In this case every paragraph will
    start from a new line. If you just want to add some spacing between
    text blocks consider use of space-before/after properties.
    The most "brutal" way to "emulate" HTML <br> is to use a construction
    like this one:
      <fo:block><fo:leader/></fo:block>
    This is a non-empty but invisible block, which will force following
    text to start from a new line.

    MB> Thanks!

    MB> /Marcus

    Hope this helps.