Re: [xep-support] JPG compression?

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 12:09:56 PST

    Peter,

    > I was curious if XEP applies jpg or zip compression to a jpg graphic when
    it
    > is processed into the pdf? If it does, is it something that can be set?

    Starting from version 3.0, XEP does not modify JPEG data - it just
    copies the whole file into PDF as is. So there's nothing to tune,
    and no possibility for additional loss of quality.

    > We noticed that the edges of some of the jpgs were a little fuzzy
    > and were looking for a way to make them sharper.

    JPEG is generally not the best format for line art containing
    sharp edges - it tends to create transition effects ("JPEG artifacts").
    Edge fuzziness is inherent for the type of compression used in JPEG;
    there's nothing to do. You may consider other, non-lossy formats
    instead. For example, PNG is equally efficient with XEP: unless
    there are some special features like gamma, interlacing, or alpha channel,
    the data are copied transparently from the input file to the resulting
    PDF, generating no overhead even for big images.

    Best regards,
    Nikolai Grigoriev