[xep-support] Strange delay at end of rendering

From: Johann Richard (Johann.richard@dspfactory.ch)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 03:03:03 PST

    Hello all,

    I am using XEP 3.17 (PDF/stamped) and observed a (repeatable) strange delay at the end of the rendering process:

    XEP does all the rendering, and outputs -- in debug mode -- which classes have been loaded. Then, the "(generate [output-format pdf][ ... ]" outputs all the (141) pages. When it's finished, XEP gives the following lines:

    [Loaded ... ]
    [Loaded com.renderx.pdflib.TTFontFile]
    [Loaded com.renderx.pdflib.T1FontFile]
    [Loaded com.renderx.adobe.TTFont]
    [Loaded com.renderx.pdflib.DefaultFonts]

    And now, there is a delay which is sometimes of 5 minutes(!) (for 141 pages) before XEP finally outputs

    [Loaded com.renderx.sax.XMLDataCache]
    [Loaded com.renderx.xep.lib.ImageCache]
    [Loaded com.renderx.xep.net.ProtocolException]
    [Loaded java.lang.ref.Finalizer$3 from C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.0\lib\rt.jar]
    [Loaded java.lang.ref.Finalizer$1 from C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.0\lib\rt.jar]

    and quits...

    As I could see, XEP is writing the PDF in these 5 minutes, but to write a 2MB file w/ <30Bit/sec or so seems just a little bit strange to me. Furthermore, this long delay is a bit annyoing ... Any hints would be appreciated , if there is a trick to speed this up!

    Observations: I do all my rendering on mapped network drives under Windows. I don't think that is the reason, but it might be interesting to know.

    Best regards,
    Johann Richard

    Johann Richard
    IC & DSP Design Engineer