Re: [xep-support] Using Computer Modern Type 1 fonts

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 07:15:30 PST

    Hi Paul,

    > Somewhat strangely, though, spaces appear as a slightly
    > angled hyphen! What is the cause of this?

    It is yet another peculiarity of Computer Modern: they use
    a very peculiar built-in encoding that lacks a space
    character (sic!). XEP can only use characters from the
    built-in encoding - all other are replaced by a space.
    When the space itself is missing, XEP recovers by putting
    a character that is at codepoint 32 in the font. In your case,
    it's a slanted tilde. I admit that the solution is not very
    graceful. In future versions, we'll re-examine the respective
    part more closely. Thank you for bringing the case into light.

    As a workaround, specify an extra font family that contains
    a glyph for a space. Any embedded font will do; for instance:

    <fo:inline font-family="Computer Modern, Times"> 1 2 3 </fo:inline>

    will bring the spaces back. (However, their width will be
    taken from Times).

    Regards,
    Nikolai