[xep-support] XEP Performance Questions

From: Jarrod Stenberg (slonob@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 13:21:20 PST

    XEP users and developers:

    I have been working with a copy of 2.78 for an
    academic client. I am running RedHat 7.2 (2.4.3) on a
    dual proc PII 800 MHz with 768 Megs of ECC RAM. The
    JVM:
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
    (build 1.3.0)
    Classic VM (build 1.3.0, J2RE 1.3.0 IBM build
    cx130-20010626 (JIT enabled: jitc))

    Note: I am not validating the XSL-FO. I find that
    rendering is on the slow side. For example, I am
    rendering a page that has nested tables (1 level deep)
    and one graphic (seems to have little to no effect
    when removed) which takes about 5 seconds to render.
    If I take the nested table out, I get an increase of
    almost 2 seconds. I know performance is a common
    complaint with today's XSL-FO rendering engines. I am
    willing to live with it to some degree, but crave a
    bit more speed. I have searched and have been unable
    to find any claims about the speed of versions 3 and
    greater. Is it better? Will future versions address
    speed? If so, how soon? Please point me to any
    information on this matter. Also, I have read on your
    support archive site about certain JVMs being faster
    than others, but the respondants failed to say which
    flavors. Which JVM performs the best?

    I have a client with deep pockets who is considering
    moving to XSL-FO with its next generation of ASP
    solutions. I need to have meeting fodder on the topic
    of performance. Deep pockets also means they may be
    willing to spend a bit on better servers than my
    academic client. So I may be able to muscle through
    it for now. Also note, this client will be dealing
    with larger, more complex documents.

    Thank you for any thoughts on the matter.
    -Jarrod Stenberg
    P.S. Great product overall! I think XEP has made
    XSL-FO viable in the present.