Re: [xep-support] Demonstrable back of the book index methodology for XSL-FO 1.0

From: Gustaf Liljegren (gustaf.liljegren@xml.se)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 03:14:38 PST

Hello Ken,

>the
>catch is to use the PDF output format for an intermediate pass and a
>no-charge download for extracting text from PDF files. The model will work
>for other final form print formats where the canvas content can be extracted.

I look forward to read your page more carefully. My solution is also based
on the conclusion that indexes can't be processed in the same step as the
rest of the book. At least, that was the case before RenderX added rx:key
and rx:page-index. I haven't tried these yet.

I don't think one should look for an independent solution here, since
indexes are not handled by XSL. On the contrary, in this case I think we
need all extensions we can get from each vendor.

For instance, I like the possibility to create the index from a document
like this one:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='iso-8859-1'?>
  <word page='93'>ackord</word>
  <word page='196'>affärsmässighet</word>
  <word page='11'>affärsmässighet</word>
  <word page='35'>affärsmässighet</word>
  <word page='111'>affärsverk</word>
  <word page='163'>affärsverk</word>
  <word page='176'>affärsverk</word>
  <word page='177'>affärsverk</word>
  <word page='156'>aktiebolag</word>
  <word page='294'>aktiebolag</word>
  <word page='11'>aktier</word>
  <word page='35'>aktier</word>

This information is extracted from the .xep output format, using a small VB
program I made called IPNE (Index Page Number Extractor). IPNE also removes
duplicates and is able to preserve upper-case in index entries found in a
list of names. With the output (illustrated above), it's not so hard to
make an FO.

This works for me, but it's far from a general solution, even for XEP
users. The worst limitation is that I have so far restricted myself to
one-level-indexes. I'd be happy to collaborate with other people in
specifying criteria for a more general solution. Again, I think such a
general solution needs to be built for each rendering engine.

Gustaf