[xep-support] XEP 3.13 is available

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 08:57:25 PST

Dear all,

we have released a maintenance release of XEP (version 3.13)
to fix bugs discovered since XEP 3.12. Most significant changes are:

- markers work back (support for markers was accidentally broken in 3.12 -
   we're terribly sorry for negligence);
- minor problems in list processing resolved;
- PostScript fonts with AdobeStandard encoding show all glyphs in place;
- documentation updated.

Moreover, recent discussions in xep-support list led us to a decision
to disable two controversial features:

1. Support for 'setpagedevice' in PostScript is left out for a moment.
We've got an impression that presence of an explicit setpagedevice
on top of each page made more harm than profit, and decided to
suspend it until we find a less intrusive method to convey
setpagedevice into the PostScript code.

2. We have disabled subsetting of PostScript fonts. Our subsetting
technique is not capable of catching glyph interdependencies. As
a result, glyphs that refer to other glyphs may lose parts of their
outline, or disappear after subsetting. This turned to be a recurrent
problem with Type1 fonts in XEP; we decided to play safe
until we implement a deeper font parsing. (Since Type 1 fonts
are usually small in size, lack of subsetting is not likely to cause
serious problems).

If anybody used the dropped functionality, please let us know:
we will try to find a remedy.

The new version is available from http://shop.xattic.com/.
Updates can be downloaded from their usual place at
http://shop.xattic.com/extras.cgi. Don't forget to have your
license key (license.txt) ready, you will be asked to upload
it to the server to get access to the downloads.

Best regards,

Nikolai Grigoriev