Re: [xep-support] Configuring Asian Fonts How-To

From: Nikolai Grigoriev (grig@renderx.com)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 13:34:02 PST

Hi Eliot,

> ttf="CIDFont/STSongStd-Light-Acro.otf"
> adobe-encoding="UniGB-UCS2-H"
> adobe-ordering="GB1"
> adobe-supplement="2"
> embed="false">
> <alias name="STSong"/>
>
> The original fonts.xml didn't have the "Std" after "STSong" and didn't
> include the ".otf" extension (maybe the Unix versions don't have the
> extension?).

No, it is simply a descriptor for Acrobat 4.0 version of the font pack.
I realized that fonts.xml currently shipped misses descriptors for CJK
font packs for Acrobat 5.0: they are omitted by negligence. We will
put them back in the next release. Anyhow, you have made it correctly :-).

> One problem I'm now having is that my bullets are not rendering. That
> is, I have set the font globally to STSongStd-Light-Acro (specified on
> fo:root and not overridden anywhere). Blocks that contain &#x2022;
> (bullet) don't render a bullet. I assume that this is because the
> Acrobat fonts don't have a glyphs for that character, yes?

Yes. I have checked MS Hei and STSong from both versions of Acrobat;
none of them contains the bullet glyph. There is an easy method to determine
which glyphs are present in the font. With XEP's jar in the path, call this
class:

   java com.renderx.adobe.AFM <TrueType/OpenType font file name>

It will list full results of font parsing, including the following:
- global font metrics data;
- license flags that control embedding, and a statement about embedding policy;
- for each glyph in the font:
        * Unicode codepoint;
        * glyph index (GID);
        * glyph advance width;
        * glyph bounding box.

(Note that for CJK fonts, the output may be quite long. It is printed to stderr;
I suggest capturing it to a file).

> I don't have this problem with XSL Formatter's rendering, presumably
> because it is using a Unicode font?

Most probably, they are using some kind of fallback font.

Best regards,

Nikolai Grigoriev

By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of Service http://www.renderx.com/tos.html