Re: [xep-support] Strange Behavior For Start-Before with fo:list

From: W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 11:58:18 PST

David Tolpin wrote:
> Eliot,
>
> what part of the rec suggests that space-before should not be honored?
> My reading is that it should be honored in all list items (and that's
> how the coming version formats the example). I think that's what
> all the discussion about fences around list-items is about.

6.8.3: "For purposes of the block-stacking constraints the areas
generated by fo:list-item are treated as if there[sic] they have a fence
preceding and a fence following them."

If I understand the meaning of "fence before", it means that the space
before for the initial blocks within a list item should have conditional
space before suppressed. But I must admit that I'm having a hard time
decoding the discussion of block stacking constraints and my brain is
simply not up to puzzling it out today, so it's quite possible I've
gotten it backwards.

But certainly this interpretation is what I would intuitively expect--I
can't imagine a normal list formatting scenario in which I would want
conditional space before on initial blocks within list-item-body to be
retained. That is, the whole point of having conditional space before is
so I don't have to have additional logic in my FO generation to
determine whether or not I should specify it.

Cheers,

E.

--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com